Inspired by Vietnamese spring rolls, this vegetarian dish is made with fresh herbs and vegetables, served with a hearty dipping sauce. It’s like a mini salad wrapped in rice paper with your dressing on the side. You can find these gluten-free rice wrappers in the Asian section of the grocery store or at a specialty market. These rolls are delicious on a warm day or pair them with soup for a larger meal. They travel well and work great for picnics or you can bring them to a party as an appetizer. Enjoy!
- Prep Time10 min
- Total Time20 min
- Yield8-10 spring rolls
- Serving Size1
- Energy80 cal
- 1 pack of rice paper wrappers
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 package of bean sprouts
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce
- 2 heaping tablespoons of organic peanut butter
- 1 lime squeezed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- water (as needed to get the consistency you want)
To Make the Rolls
Set up an assembly line with your ingredients.
Fill a large bowl with warm water for your spring roll wrappers. Gently place the first one in the water and let it stay for about 30 seconds to a minute, until it looks like a jellyfish floating in the water.
Lay the wrapper on a cutting board or plate.
Place 1 handful of basil and cilantro, a small pinch of carrots, cabbage, cucumber, bean sprouts, and a small piece of lettuce in the middle of the wrapper and gently fold the skin like a burrito, starting at one end and rolling the wrapper, folding the sides in as you go.
Continue until you have the desired number of spring rolls.
To Make the Sauce
Add all ingredients to a bowl and with a whisk whip the mixture together.
Add small amounts of water until you get the desired consistency.
Additions & Substitutions
- Peanut butter – Sunflower seed butter (for nut allergies)
- Soy Sauce – Tamari (gluten-free fermented soy sauce)
For Weightloss & Lifestyle Program:
Add in one of the following lean proteins:
- grilled chicken
- Serving Size1
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*Standard DV
- Total Fat2 g78 g2.56%
- Sodium240 mg2300 mg10.43%
- Total Sugars3 g
- Protein4 g50 g8%
- Calcium38 mg1300 mg2.92%
- Iron1 mg18 mg5.56%
- Potassium234 mg4700 mg4.98%