One of my all-time favorite recipes! I think it’s a perfect light dish, when zucchini and fresh herbs are abundant and at the peak of their season.
Fresh and light, yet savory and satisfying, this dish is versatile and can be served hot or cold. It makes a great healthy side for your neighborhood barbecue or a terrific dinner with mixed greens on the side.
It is also easy to substitute ingredients with this dish. For example, this time I used shallots instead of scallions. And any fresh herb will work in place of the celery and basil leaves.
- Total Time30 min
- Yield4 servings
- Energy190 cal
- 5 small Zucchini
- 4 Scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Celery Leaves (from inner stalks), chopped
- 4 tbsp Basil Leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Slice the zucchini in half crosswise. Cut each half again lengthwise, and slice each of the halves into 4 equal, ½ inch pieces. They should look like sticks.
In a bowl, mix together the zucchini sticks with the white parts of the scallions, onion, tomatoes, celery leaves and basil.
Mix in the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Pour into a 3 quart baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Garnish with the sliced green tops of the scallions and the extra chopped basil.
Additions & Substitutions
- Sub Onion/Scallion for Shallots
- Sub Basil/Celery Leaves for Any Fresh Herb
Weightloss & Lifestyle:
Add in one of the following lean proteins/serving:
- Add 3-4 oz meat/poultry/tofu
- Add 4-6 oz fish/shellfish
- Add 2 hard boiled eggs
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat14 g17.95%
- Trans Fat2 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium45 mg1.96%
- Total Carbohydrate13 g4.73%
- Dietary Fiber4 g14.29%
- Total Sugars9 g
- Protein4 g8%